Both of these postcards show the Coventry Sunday Schools King George V Coronation Day procession. They were taken at the same time and are both included as they show Spon Street from outside the ‘Shakspeare Inn’ in each direction. In the top view to the right of the Shakspeare without the E is court 7, then before the works entrance to Rotherhams, at no. 19 is M. Nicks Provision Dealer. Just out of the picture to the right is the ‘Old Windmill’. The ‘Shakspeare’ has since been refaced and the buildings to the right have been demolished. The bottom picture shows to the left of the ‘Shakspeare’, Alexander Edward’s Watch & Clock repairers, followed by the ‘Board Vaults’ then after court 6 the ‘Recruiting Sergeant’. This latter pub closed in 1928, has been much altered and is now known as Tudor House’. On the corner of Queen Victoria Road the tall building is the ‘Plough Hotel’ which was bombed in the last War, Alexander Edwards the jewellers now being in a rebuilt shop on this site.
The Soviets unilaterally declared the occupation of East Berlin at an end along with the rest of East Germany. This move was, however, not recognised by the Western Allies, who continued to view all of Berlin as a jointly occupied territory belonging to neither of the two countries. This view was supported by the continued practice of patrols of all four sectors by soldiers of all four occupying powers. Thus, occasionally Western Allied soldiers were on patrol in East Berlin as were Soviet soldiers in West Berlin. After the Wall was built, East Germany wanted to control Western Allied patrols upon entering or leaving East Berlin, a practice that the Western Allies regarded as unacceptable. So, after protests to the Soviets, the patrols continued uncontrolled on both sides, with the tacit agreement that the western Allies would not use their patrolling privileges for helping Easterners to flee to the West.